Halloween Pet Safety Tips

posted: by: Amber Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

Halloween should be fun for the whole family - pets included! Here's a few tips to make sure the spooky season is enjoyed by all. 

  • Treats are for kids! And also adults when the kids aren't looking. Candy (especially chocolate) can be toxic to pets, and ingested wrappers can be a foreign body hazard. Keep the candy stash well away from your pets. If you suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic, please call us or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Can't stand the though of your pooch missing out on seasonal goodies? Try this Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Cookie recipe!
  • Decorations are fun, but make sure that pets are kept safe from lit candles. Keep wires and sharp objects out of the reach of curious noses and paws.
  • Halloween night means trick or treaters galore! Unless your pet is exceedingly calm and social, it's a good idea to keep them in a separate room away from the front door during peak hours. The flurry of activity and presence of so many strangers can be stressful for pets. When opening the door, make sure your dog or cat doesn't dart outside, and be certain they have proper identification in case they do escape.
  • Last but not least, costumes! Be aware that some pets can be stressed out or upset by the sight of people in costumes, especially if they have masks or a lot of accessories (extra limbs, etc). If you want to to dress your fur kid up, make sure that the costume is one that they're comfortable in. Pick a costume that doesn't impede their ability to see, breathe, move, or vocalize. And most importantly, send us pictures!

Have fun, be safe and enjoy!